Week 11 Story: Barnabas and Barney 2



Photo by Rock'n Roll Monkey on Unsplash

Reading source: Jataka Tales


There once was an inventor named Barnabas. Barnabas loved to build and create, but had no friends. One day he decided he would create his own friend and name it Barney 2. Barney 2 was a robot of Barnabas' own concept that's only purpose was to be a companion to the lonely man. His robot Barney 2 was so gentle and kind to everyone. Barnabas would take him shopping and they would have a great time.

One day Barnabas left Barney 2 in his workshop while he left for a convention. That night, robbers saw no one was home at the Barnabas residence, and decided they would steal some of his inventions. Their loud conversation awoke Barney 2. Barney 2 heard the men talk about how if anyone were to stop them, they would just kill the person in order to save themselves. Barney 2 had not had much instruction since the inventor had just created him, and had not coded him to feel emotions. Barney heard the cruel words these men were speaking and thought to himself, I guess this is how I should learn to act. This is how humans are. Barney 2 went to the men and fought them, killing every last one of them. 

When Barnabas returned from the convention he was appalled. He did not create a monster that would harm anyone! If people found out that he had, he would be banished. He watched Barney 2's security tapes to see what caused him to act this way. Barnabas shortly realized that the reason his friend acted in malice was because that is all he had learned to do. So Barnabas decided he would try and reverse the behavior as best as he could. He invited other inventors over to talk loudly near Barney 2 so that he would have good influences to listen to. Barney 2 shortly realized that he had listened to bad people, and the people speaking now were good. He followed them and from there on out was the kindest robot to roam the planet. 


_______

Author's Note:

This story was really interesting to me. The whole concept of the tale was an elephant that belonged to a king and never hurt a soul. Then, when he had negative influence, he began killing because that is what he thought was told of him. I took this concept and applied it to creation. The idea of evil robots have always scared me, and I felt this was a more wholesome approach to the topic. He learned and changed his ways in the end just like the elephant!

Comments

  1. Hey Savannah! This story is absolutely brilliant. I love the robot image you chose. It’s so cute, which really helps me imagine how innocent Barney 2 is. Your story is written very well and flows smoothly. It also makes a lot of sense. I felt very bad for Barney 2 because he didn’t have the opportunity to learn to be nonviolent, but I’m glad that the story had a happy ending! Thanks for sharing this story with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Savannah! I absolutely loved your story! It kept my attention the whole time and sometimes I find that hard to happen. It flowed very well and I never found myself confused on lost! I love how you turned an epic into a fun and creative story! Keep up the good work and I am excited to see what more you have in store!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment