Week 5 Story: The Story of Maya-Sita




 Photo source

Story: Tiny Tales from the Ramayana, Sita Rebukes Rama

Sita prayed to the devas to protect her, "if a bad thing shall happen to me make a double so that I may remain pure and faithful to my husband," she said praying and hoping to be saved. The devas heard this and created Maya-sita to go in her place and keep her safe. Sita then joined Agni in the flames. When Rama's voice called out from the deer she screamed, she thought Rama was dying, but Agni kept her close.

"Don't worry girl," Agni said, "he will be safe as will you just stay with me and wait it out." Sita could not calm down so Agni knocked her out until she would be returned with Rama. In the meantime Maya-sita was newly born and a bit confused, but she heard what sounded like Rama scream and was frightened. Soon Ravana tricked her and took her away for his own bride. The devas giggled knowing that not only one but two of his brides were carbon copies of other women he desired, that he could not get what he wanted by himself.

Soon Maya-sita was aware what she had to do, she knew that if she was killed that she had fulfilled her duty and so she refused to marry Ravana, the devas gave her very specific tasks. Fast forward to the war, Rama killed Ravana for his crimes, and asked them to get Sita for him. 

Sita was fetched and Rama said to her that he had killed Ravana for what he had done to her, now she was free to go where she pleased. Ravana abducted Maya-sita, and Rama felt ashamed that she had been in another man's home. Maya-sita knew it was her time to show Sita was pure and safe. So they constructed a fire and Agni came and took Maya-sita back where she came from and returned Sita who did not know what had happened, she was not sure why then Rama was so upset with her. She walked out of the fire and was received by Rama. Finally they were back together and safe to return home. 


_____________

Author's Note: I changed the story a bit to include the Maya-sita storyline, and rather than the Devas taking Sita from the chariot, I made it that Ravana stole Maya-sita originally making the real Sita completely confused and disoriented and safe throughout the story. I liked the idea that the devas had deceived Ravana throughout the whole abduction because the story did not mention that point of view until the end.

Comments

  1. Hey Savannah! I absolutely love the image you used for your story as well as the color scheme you have going on for your blog! These colors are very fun and make up a nice pallet. I liked reading your story, and I thought the changes you made were very interesting. The idea of having a clone or double of yourself so that you could remain safe is such a fun thought. Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Savannah! I love that you chose Maya-sita to be the topic of your story. I remember being intrigued and curious about that whole situation while reading the Ramayana, so I was definitely entertained while reading. I also like how you changed it so that Sita was switched out before Ravana even abducted her, though I kind of wish Sita was the one there the whole time because I remember thinking that it made her seem like such a stronger person to go through all of that and not give in to Ravana. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Savannah!
    Awesome story! I liked the way you used the story line of Maya-Sita because like you said it was not mentioned until the end of the story. When reading that there another perspective of the Sita kidnapping I was intrigued, but there was little detail explaining that storyline so I wasn't able to get a full understanding of how it may have played out. Your story helped me with this by giving feelings and details to the characters that were not explained in the book I read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment