Week 2 Reading Overview

 

Photo from Ms Sarah Welch, via Wikimedia Commons

I have chosen to read the Tiny Tales from the Ramayana because it is easily accessible and also I feel like reading material that was specifically designed for this class and these students will be extremely helpful in understanding the topics we will explore for this topic. The ability to access this on PDF as well as kindle makes it the easy choice for me, but also the way the Tiny Tales are set up as well as the ability to have a free audiobook will allow for me to be fully engaged in the story. I like the accessibility that comes with the audiobook because hearing things read out loud helps me to comprehend them faster, and typically I will have to reread a lot if I don't hear out loud. This I think will help me from reading the stories out loud and confusing my roommates more than I need to. 

For the comics, I think I was really drawn to the Lord of Lanka: The Rise and Fall of the Demon King, the title sounded super cool and I know you can't judge a book by its cover. I just thought that the idea of a woman (Vedavati) throwing herself into a fire to avoid Ravana, a man trying to attract her, is kind of amazing and I want to know more. The storyline seems like it has similar themes to stories I have read before: notably Ravana throwing a baby into the river due to the oracles prediction of death caused by the child, and then the child appearing before King Janaka. This story reminds me of the Bible story of Moses a bit. 

The second comic I was interested in is the Tales of Arjuna: the Exploits of an Exceptional Warrior mostly because I noticed there was a monkey sidekick and I got excited about that. Also the idea that someone has to make a bridge that supports their weight out of arrows and the moral of the story being humility is interesting to me. Especially that a god disguised themselves as a boy in order to teach that moral. 

While scrolling through the playlist on youtube I noticed a video titled Ancient Technology- Atlantis and India. I was super excited about this specific video because I think the idea of Atlantis, a hidden city of intellectuals under the water, is so cool to me. Whether that be a hidden city, or a sunken city, I think the idea is so cool. The fact that Indian Epics have a story that involves the idea of Atlantis is also super cool because that means that the story has been around for a very long time. I also like the connection to aliens or extra terrestrial beings in Indian culture. I just think that is super cool!

The second video that I watched is the Harry Potter Meets Hindu Mythology because I honestly just wanted to see how the video would connect the two concepts in a way that would make sense. Plus I love Harry Potter and the idea that it is similar to Indian Mythology is so interesting to me. The video mentioned that often an evil king will keep their life in a bird in order to live longer, similar to Voldemort's Horcruxes. It also parallels Dumbledore's death to Bhishma's death in Hindu Myth. I thought it was interesting to have those connections, and that leaves me to wonder if JK Rowling knew what she was doing or if it was coincidentally that similar. 

Comments