Topic Research: Animals in Indian Myth

 


Picture from Wikipedia 


Originally I was really compelled with the idea of doing something involving avatars or reincarnation of characters because I thought it to be very interesting and complex. However, after reading Part B of The Ramayana I thought the stories of the monkey brothers and Hanuman as well. 

I thought all of the different stories of their coming to be was very interesting to me and I want to dive into that more. Living in China I had heard stories of the "Monkey King" and now taking this class I realize that these stories are connected throughout the cultures as a strong character that is influential. 

Here is some backstory on the character. Websource.  Focusing on his story arc as the divine monkey king is important, but maybe there are other ways I could bring in other elements into this story. Websource

Focusing on his birth as one story, his utilization in The Ramayana as another and then finally his strength and power. Websource.

I think there is definitely a creative way for me to spin this and make it my own, but that will come with time. As of right now I like the character and I think his story is really unique and could make for a cool storybook. He has a cool story arc where he starts out being struck down and continues on to help people and make a good name. 

I think I could change this up a bit if I wanted to step away from focusing too closely on Hanuman specifically, especially because this is the first story we have read, but I do think that the story is very interesting to me. 

Comments