Topic Brainstorm

I feel like I need to read a little bit more about Indian Epics to know exactly what I want to do with my storybook. I worry that I will not know exactly what kind of idea I want to build off of for my storybook.

 I really like the idea of a storybook where each story is another reincarnation of the same person. I am not sure how vague or in depth the storybooks are supposed to be so the specifics would depend on that. Whether I wanted to create a string of lives that someone lived based on a mythical storyline, or if I want to follow a famous line of reincarnations and give a link between the three lives. I have always thought the idea of reincarnation was cool and interesting, and recently I rewatched the show Avatar the last Airbender which deals somewhat with that idea, however it strays a little bit in the sense that it is not necessarily the same person, but the spirit and power flows throughout all of the past avatars. I am interested to see how that would line up with Indian storytelling as well.   Web source.

Speaking about the idea of Avatar and how that connects with reincarnation, another idea I had was to focus on specific Avatars of the divine beings in the Mahabharat and the incantations onto the planet. This is I realize different than reincarnation, as it is a material appearance of a deity on earth. For example: Krishna is an avatar of Vishnu. I am not sure what exactly I will do with that as a storybook, but I think the idea of sending a material appearance of oneself onto earth is interesting, especially because that is something dealt with in other religions and isn't just dealt with in Hinduism. Web source.

I liked the idea of stories of creation, specifically Hiraṇyagarbha and the golden egg that is responsible for creation of all things. Also Brahma the creator god, I think it is interesting how different religions and cultures deals with creation. I think it could be fun to read more about that specifically. Web source.

One more thing that could be fun to do as a topic is animals and how they are utilized in the stories throughout Indian myths. There are a lot of the comics that deal with animals and their significance to the Indian stories and I think that could be a cool concept to dive into. Web Source. 

I feel like I know a lot less about Indian Epics than I do about mythology and folklore and as I am in both classes, this is a learning curve for me for sure. I hope that I can figure out where I want to go with these projects and hopefully do that soon.


Photo by  Tester on Unsplash


Comments